- Technology : IPL-Intense Pulsed Light
- Locate US:
What kind of results can I see after IPL skin rejuvenation treatment?
While individual results can vary, each IPL skin rejuvenation procedure results in gradual lightening of skin, and improved pigmented as well as vascular imperfections. Improvements in skin texture can be noticed at the end of the series of treatments.* IPL treatment lightens areas with red and brown patchy skin.
The red color blemishes caused due to broken or damaged blood vessels,as well as brown spots caused due to sun damage, age spots and freckles respond well to IPL or Intense Pulse Light treatment.* Intense pulse light energy is converted into heat when it reaches the collagen present under the surface of the skin.
Who is considered a right candidate for the IPLskin rejuvenation treatment? The IPL skin rejuvenation is an excellent treatment option for men and women of all age groups (above 15 years of age) who want to treat various skin disorders, which include:
- Age Spots
- Brown patches on the skin caused due to pregnancy or sun damage
- Spider veinson the face
- Large Pores
- Sebaceous Hyperplasia (enlarged oil glands)including Acne
- Skin pigmentation
Intense Pulse Light is excellent for treating brown patches of skin or anything that involves a flat reddening.* The treatment is not suitable for raised skin disorders like raised moles. Consult a doctor in case you have queries regarding treating a mole or other skin disorders.
What parts of the body are treated with IPL skin rejuvenation treatments?
Mostly all areas including the face, chest, neck, hands, back, arms, legs as well as feet can be treated. You can treat most parts of the body where you want smooth and youthful skin. How many sessions are there in the IPL skin rejuvenation treatment series?
On an average, photo-damaged skin, spider veins, redness from pigmented lesions and Rosacea need four to five treatment sessions.Fine lines, superficial scarring and pore size can also display noticeable improvement after 4 to 5 sessions.Certain resistant vascular as well as pigmented areas might need more than five treatment sessions in order to achieve the targeted results.*
How It Works?
The skin rejuvenation treatment makes use of intense pulsed light in order to lighten age spots, freckles and brown pigmented skin caused due to sun damage. These photo facials can also be used to fade skin redness caused due to rosacea or spider veins. To treat darker skin areas and to smooth fine lines, the skin rejuvenation treatments combine intense pulsed light along with bi-polar radio frequency energies in order to restore a more youthful looking skin. In certain patients, intense pulsed light can also prove beneficial in hair reduction process.*
Repeated treatment scan shrink the pore size and sebaceous glands, which eases the symptoms of acne. However, the number of sessions required to achieve results can vary from one patient to another.*
Over a course of treatment sessions, IPL stimulates the growth of new collagen, thus resulting in much smoother, even and healthier skin. The process gradually takes place across several months.*
What exactly happens during the IPL skin rejuvenation treatment?
On the first visit, patients get a free consultation session with one of the staff members in order to discuss the advantages of IPL treatment. The medical staff member will explain the entire procedure and then answer any queries that patients might have. They would explain the way in which the procedure will work, how many sessions are required (on average), and also provide a price quote. Patients are asked to fill a form containing their medical historyand other questions.This is to decide whether they are a right candidate for the treatment and also to determine their skin type and level of sensitivity. Following the assessment of skin type as well as treatment needs, the doctor will discuss the treatment options and also the results that can be realistically expected from the IPL skin rejuvenation treatment series. After opting to go ahead with the procedure, photographs are taken of the area that is being treated.The photographs are strictly taken for records and are not be used or released without the patient’s consent. Patient’s privacy is always of utmost importance. Patients are required to wash their face and remove all makeup. You might need to buy a numbing cream prior to treatment. However, this is generally not required. It takes around45 minutes in order to take effect, therefore take that into consideration in case you require a topical anesthetic.
During the treatment, the eyes are covered using eye pads or special goggles. After this, a cold and soothing gel is applied on the area of treatment. The head of the IPL handle possesses a chilled sapphire tip in order to keep the skin cool, thus minimizing discomfort.
During treatment, intense pulse light is flashed through a prism and directed on the area of treatment. You might feel a tingling, stinging, burning or prickling sensation which will quickly subside following treatment.
The initial treatment might not be as aggressive as the treatments that will follow. This is to avoid any damage to the skin and determine the skin’s tolerance for the rest of the IPL treatments. You might require a test patch in order to ensure that there is no negative reaction. Depending upon the amount of skin that needs to be treated, the IPL treatments may require between 15 to 40 minutes, without taking into consideration the time taken for the numbing agent to take effect.
Following the IPL skin rejuvenation procedures, ice is applied on the treatment area in order to lessen the swelling, redness and discomfort. After this, the treatment gel is gently wiped off, followed by the application of a thin layer of cooling gel is applied on the skin. Just before leaving the office, a layer of suntan lotion is applied.
How does the IPL skin rejuvenation treatment feel?
The sensation during treatment is like a hot pinch. The sensation lasts only for a second, and patients feel a warm or tingling feeling for a while.Doctors use a chilled sapphire tip in order to lessen the discomfort. Majority of patients are able to tolerate the procedure without the use of any topical anesthetic. However, people with more sensitive skin prefer a topical anesthetic before the procedure.
Is the IPL skin rejuvenation procedure safe?
The IPL skin rejuvenation procedure uses advanced technology, which makes the procedure very safe, without compromising on the effectiveness of the treatment.
What happens following every IPLskin rejuvenation session?
Majority of the patients can resume routine activities almost immediately after the treatment. They only need to use sunscreen lotion for protection from sun, and makeup to hide temporary discoloration of the skin, if desired.
How the skin responds to the skin rejuvenation procedure depends upon the skin’s sensitivity, as well as severity of the condition which is being treated.*
Are there any side effects?
The side effects from IPL skin rejuvenation may involve temporary redness or pinkness which lasts fora couple of hours or even 3 to 14 days, temporary darkening of blood vessels, which lightens and fades within a few days. Dark pigmented areas like age spots,freckles, and sun damage first become darker and then flake off within 7 to 10 days. Majority of the patients completely recover within 10 -14 days.
It is recommended to schedule the first IPL skin rejuvenation session when you have one or two days without any major event or work in your life. Friday or Saturday afternoon appointments are also available so that patients can adjust their working schedules.
Rarely, there might be mild swelling, crusting, bruising or blistering, which will subside after a couple of days. In case the symptoms persist and develop into an infection, or cold sore,contact the doctor immediately.
Your face and indeed your skin is a very important aspect of your over all appearance. It is thus but natural that you will wish to be armed with all possible information that you can get your hands on before you choose the right treatment for you. Considering this, we have made this FAQ list for you, just to answer all you basic queries for you.
How Do I Know if I am a Good Harmony XL Candidate?
There is no such thing as a good Harmony XL candidate because everyone can go for this treatment irrespective of his or her skin type, skin color and even age. If you are someone who has visible signs of ageing, you are the perfect candidate for this treatment as it gives visible and dramatic results. The best candidates for this treatment are people who are in general good health, have good habits and normally take good care of their skin.
Does this Harmony XL Rejuvenation Treatment Work on All Skin Types?
You can go through with this treatment irrespective of your skin type and skin color and still see the same dramatic improvements in your skin. Though Harmony XL skin rejuvenation treatments can be performed on all skin types, it is always a good idea to consult your personal doctor first in case you have any underlying skin conditions that might interfere with or hamper the treatment.
How Long Does One Treatment Session Typically Take?
Usually, a typical treatment session will only take about 30 minutes of your time, but if your condition is advanced, your session can indeed last longer. As your exact treatment session time depends on the severity of your individual condition, the doctor who will be handling your treatment can give you the best estimate of the required session time.
Is the Harmony XL Skin Rejuvenation Treatment Safe?
One cannot stress the fact enough that Harmony XL treatments are 100 percent safe. Minor skin irritations post treatment such as flushed, red skin is a completely normal and short-lived phenomenon that is part of the healing process. This effective treatment requires you to follow all the post-treatment instructions such as limiting your sun exposure etc. so as to not cause any difficulties or problems.
I Have a Very Low Pain Threshold so Does this Treatment Hurt?
The intensity of the pain caused by this treatment is a hurt that varies from person to person. Usually, most people liken the pain to being like sunburn and most people manage bearing it just fine. But if you have a low pain threshold, your doctor may prescribe you with some over-the-counter painkillers to make you more comfortable during and after the treatment.
Will I Need Frequent Touch Ups?
It is very important to remember that while Harmony XL reverses any signs of ageing that are already visible on your skin, it does not completely halt the ageing process. As you continue to age even after the treatment, you may indeed need more treatments in the future. How long your results from the previous treatment will last depends on how well you take care of your skin post the treatment and also your lifestyle patterns. For a lot of patients, a touch up treatment after 6 to 12 months helps maintain the healthy glow on skin, irrespective of whether you choose the same treatment or another light-based skin rejuvenation technology.
How Much Does the Treatment Cost?
Unfortunately, no one can predict your total Harmony XL cost for you unless you schedule a consultation and visit a doctor. Harmony XL treatment costs vary depending on how many sessions you require and this in turn depends on your treatment area and skin condition. A doctor can give you a quotation after judging your skin condition and the likely time it will take to get rid of all your skin troubles. If you still have any questions or are still in need of some reinforcing information, you can look at the rave reviews that this treatment has received from some people who have actually gone through with it.
- Cancer; in particularly, skin cancer
- Pregnancy (including IVF)
- Use of photosensitive medication and herbs for which 300 to 2940nm light exposure is contra-indicated
- Diseases which may be stimulated by light at 300 to 2940nm
- Prolonged exposure to sun or artificial tanning during the 3 to 4 weeks prior to treatment and post treatment
- History of keloids or hypertrophic scarring
- Active infection of herpes simplex in the treatment area
- Fragile and dry skin
- Hormonal disorders (that are stimulated under pulsed light)
- Use of anticoagulants
Adverse Effects of Treatment
The use of the Harmony system is similar to the use of other light based technologies, including AFT pulsed light, UV or Nd:YAG, Er:YAG lasers. Historically, traditional systems have demonstrated the ability to cause a certain degree of controlled and uncontrolled tissue damage (and on rare occasions, severe bleeding). In addition, there are the following risks:
- Severe or prolonged erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) within 2-24 hours of treatment that could last for several weeks.
- Irritation, itching, a mild burning sensation or pain (similar to sunburn) may occur within 48 hours of treatment at the application site.
- Blisters, epidermal erosions, or peri-lesional hyper pigmentation may develop and remain evident for several days to several weeks following treatment.
- Chronic exposure to intense UV light (i.e. intense sunlight) can cause premature aging of the skin and may provide the precursors for skin cancer. UV treatment modalities have been used in dermatological practice for years and their safety profiles are well documented.
- Eye damage from reflected or prolonged unprotected exposure to pulsed light or laser light. Protective goggles (appropriate to the wavelength) must be worn during all treatments to prevent eye injury.
- It is important to observe tissue reaction during treatment. Poor patient screening and excessive optical energy may cause thermal damage and cause unwanted adverse effects.
Potential Side Effects of Treatment
- Discomfort – When a light/laser pulse is triggered, some patients experience various degrees of discomfort. Some patients describe the sensation as stinging, while others liken it to a rubber band snap or a burning sensation that may last for up to one hour after treatment. Most patients tolerate the sensation during treatment, but some patients may require a topical anesthetic.
- Damage to Natural Skin Texture – In some cases, a crust or blister may form. Normal wound care should be followed.
- Change of Pigmentation – There may be a change of pigmentation in the treated area. Most cases of hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation occur in people with skin types IV to VI, or when the treated area has been exposed to sunlight within 3 weeks before or after treatment. In some patients, hyper-pigmentation occurs despite protection from the sun. This discoloration usually fades in three to six months, but in rare cases, (mainly hypo-pigmentation) the change of pigment may be permanent.
- Scarring – There is a chance of scarring; such as, enlarged hypertrophic or keloid scars. To reduce the chance of scarring, it is important to carefully follow all pre- and post-treatment instructions.
- Excessive Swelling – Immediately after treatment, especially on the nose and cheeks, the skin may swell temporarily. Swelling usually subsides within hours, but may continue for up to seven days.
- Fragile Skin – The skin at or near the treatment site may become fragile. If this happens makeup should be avoided, and the area should not be rubbed (as this might tear the skin).
- Bruising – Purpura, or bruising, may appear on the treated area which may last from a few hours to several days.
- Before doing any treatment please consult your doctor to confirm if the treatment is the right one for you