Laser tattoo removal from Harmony, Find a Clinic Near You
- Riley Ward:
- There are so many excellent methods of tattoo removal available today. Personally, I feel none come close to the fantastic results that Q-switch laser tattoo removal can provide. Initially, I was...read more
- A lot of people who have got a tattoo done and then got it removed say that getting tattoos removed is a lot more uncomfortable than getting it done. I had a similar impression until I opted for...read more
Q-switched tattoo removal
Laser Tattoo Removal with Harmony XL’s Q-switched Nd: YAG
So you have a tattoo that you’d rather be rid off, eh? Trust me, you’re just one of the many millions out there who regret one or the other of their tattoos. You know what they say right, “the indiscretions of youth are often the regrets of maturity”, and so don’t worry about that embarrassing Ex’s name or that Looney Toons cartoon character that makes colleagues give you embarrassing nicknames. The Harmony XL laser technology from the Alma Laser’s family is here to help you with safe, easy and effective tattoo removal.
Tattooing has grown significantly in popularity over that last few decades. And when that many people want them on, there are a growing number that want them off. Tattoos involve the injection of colored pigments into small, deep holes made in the skin with a pointed needle to create various patterns and shapes. Regardless of who does your tattoo - a trained and professional tattoo artist or an untrained individual, the tattoos is invariably permanent.
So what happens if anyone wants one of his or her tattoos removed? In such situations, people often turned to physicians for a painful surgical removal that may be incomplete, that may leave scars, may be painful and may even be ineffective. Recently, with the introduction of Harmony XL laser treatments for tattoo removal, many physicians are now turning to the Q-switched Nd: YAG module for tattoo removal of unwanted tattoos.
How It Works
- The Q-switched Nd: YAG handpiece of the Harmony XL send light pulses from a laser, directly onto the tattoo. As the laser rays penetrate the epidermis, they break up the tattoo pigment. The unbroken pigments are left inside the body (as this is a non-surgical procedure) and the body’s macrophages take care of this fact by removing these broken pigments from the body. This natural bodily process of a natural clean up takes several weeks and hence usually it takes more than one treatment to remove the entire tattoo completely.
- There are several parameters that can affect the results of the tattoo removal process and they also play a role in determining how many sessions it would require to remove your tattoo completely. There are parameters include: color of the tattoo, placement of the tattoo, color of skin, expertise of the tattoo artist, etc. For example, the Q-switched Nd: YAG’s 1064 nm light gives the best results on darker tattoo inks, namely black, green and blue.
More About Harmony XL’s Tattoo Removal Treatment
The Harmony XL works on the principle of penetration. The laser light rays are targeted on the tattoo and pigments, such as the tattoo ink and even the natural pigment melanin, absorb it. The short duration of the pulse and the high peak energy of the Q-switched laser pulses so quickly over the tattoo, that it creates a photo-acoustic effect within the cells containing the clusters of pigment. As the pigments are thus shattered into much smaller particles, they become easy targets for the body’s natural filtering mechanism that flushes out foreign particles. The laser wavelength though, needs to be changes according to the various tattoo parameters. For example: darker tattoo inks require the 1064 nm wavelength while the lighter reds and yellows require 532 nm wavelength.
Advantages of Harmony XL’s Laser Tattoo Removal
As the Harmony XL has several interchangeable modules, it can be used for several purposed other than just for the purposes for the laser tattoo removal treatment.
It is a completely non-invasive, non-surgical treatment that gives very safe and very effective results. The treatment discomfort is minimal.
The treatment also works on benign pigmented lesions on the skin.
The treatment is effective and gives visible results, with no down time for recovery.
This is an accurate treatment that targets the tattoo without having any surrounding damage.
The treatment involves fast and quick treatment sessions.
There is minimal risk of infection as all the safety standards are met with and the quick snap tip is disposable to prevent cross contamination.
You face and indeed your skin is a very important aspect of your over all appearance. It is thus but natural that you will wish to be armed with all possible information that you can get your hands on before you choose the right treatment for you. Considering this, we have made this FAQ list for you, just to answer all you basic queries for you.
How Do I Know if I am a Good Harmony XL Candidate?
There is no such thing as a good Harmony XL candidate because everyone can go for this treatment irrespective of his or her skin type, skin color and even age. If you are someone who has visible signs of ageing, you are the perfect candidate for this treatment as it gives visible and dramatic results. The best candidates for this treatment are people who are in general good health, have good habits and normally take good care of their skin.
Does this Harmony XL Rejuvenation Treatment Work on All Skin Types?
You can go through with this treatment irrespective of your skin type and skin color and still see the same dramatic improvements in your skin. Though Harmony XL skin rejuvenation treatments can be performed on all skin types, it is always a good idea to consult your personal doctor first in case you have any underlying skin conditions that might interfere with or hamper the treatment.
How Long Does One Treatment Session Typically Take?
Usually, a typical treatment session will only take about 30 minutes of your time, but if your condition is advanced, your session can indeed last longer. As your exact treatment session time depends on the severity of your individual condition, the doctor who will be handling your treatment can give you the best estimate of the required session time.
Is the Harmony XL Skin Rejuvenation Treatment Safe?
One cannot stress the fact enough that Harmony XL treatments are 100 percent safe. Minor skin irritations post treatment such as flushed, red skin is a completely normal and short-lived phenomenon that is part of the healing process. This effective treatment requires you to follow all the post-treatment instructions such as limiting your sun exposure etc. so as to not cause any difficulties or problems.
I Have a Very Low Pain Threshold so Does this Treatment Hurt?
The intensity of the pain caused by this treatment is a hurt that varies from person to person. Usually, most people liken the pain to being like sunburn and most people manage bearing it just fine. But if you have a low pain threshold, your doctor may prescribe you with some over-the-counter painkillers to make you more comfortable during and after the treatment.
Will I Need Frequent Touch Ups?
It is very important to remember that while Harmony XL reverses any signs of ageing that are already visible on your skin, it does not completely halt the ageing process. As you continue to age even after the treatment, you may indeed need more treatments in the future. How long your results from the previous treatment will last depends on how well you take care of your skin post the treatment and also your lifestyle patterns. For a lot of patients, a touch up treatment after 6 to 12 months helps maintain the healthy glow on skin, irrespective of whether you choose the same treatment or another light-based skin rejuvenation technology.
How Much Does the Treatment Cost?
Unfortunately, no one can predict your total Harmony XL cost for you unless you schedule a consultation and visit a doctor. Harmony XL treatment costs vary depending on how many sessions you require and this in turn depends on your treatment area and skin condition. A doctor can give you a quotation after judging your skin condition and the likely time it will take to get rid of all your skin troubles.
If you still have any questions or are still in need of some reinforcing information, you can look at the rave reviews that this treatment has received from some people who have actually gone through with it.
- Cancer; in particularly, skin cancer
- Pregnancy (including IVF)
- Use of photosensitive medication and herbs for which 300 to 2940nm light exposure is contra-indicated
- Diseases which may be stimulated by light at 300 to 2940nm
- Prolonged exposure to sun or artificial tanning during the 3 to 4 weeks prior to treatment and post treatment
- History of keloids or hypertrophic scarring
- Active infection of herpes simplex in the treatment area
- Diabetes (insulin dependent)
- Fragile and dry skin
- Hormonal disorders (that are stimulated under pulsed light)
- Use of anticoagulants
Adverse Effects of Treatment
The use of the Harmony system is similar to the use of other light based technologies, including AFT pulsed light, UV or Nd:YAG, Er:YAG lasers.
Historically, traditional systems have demonstrated the ability to cause a certain degree of controlled and uncontrolled tissue damage (and on rare occasions, severe bleeding). In addition, there are the following risks:
- Severe or prolonged erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) within 2-24 hours of treatment that could last for several weeks.
- Irritation, itching, a mild burning sensation or pain (similar to sunburn) may occur within 48 hours of treatment at the application site.
- Blisters, epidermal erosions, or peri-lesional hyperpigmentation may develop and remain evident for several days to several weeks following treatment.
- Chronic exposure to intense UV light (i.e. intense sunlight) can cause premature aging of the skin and may provide the precursors for skin cancer. UV treatment modalities have been used in dermatological practice for years and their safety profiles are well documented.
- Eye damage from reflected or prolonged unprotected exposure to pulsed light or laser light. Protective goggles (appropriate to the wavelength) must be worn during all treatments to prevent eye injury.
- It is important to observe tissue reaction during treatment. Poor patient screening and excessive optical energy may cause thermal damage and cause unwanted adverse effects.
Potential Side Effects of Treatment
- Discomfort – When a light/laser pulse is triggered, some patients experience various degrees of discomfort. Some patients describe the sensation as stinging, while others liken it to a rubber band snap or a burning sensation that may last for up to one hour after treatment. Most patients tolerate the sensation during treatment, but some patients may require a topical anesthetic.
- Damage to Natural Skin Texture – In some cases, a crust or blister may form. Normal wound care should be followed.
- Change of Pigmentation – There may be a change of pigmentation in the treated area. Most cases of hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation occur in people with skin types IV to VI, or when the treated area has been exposed to sunlight within 3 weeks before or after treatment. In some patients, hyper-pigmentation occurs despite protection from the sun. This discoloration usually fades in three to six months, but in rare cases, (mainly hypo-pigmentation) the change of pigment may be permanent.
- Scarring – There is a chance of scarring; such as, enlarged hypertrophic or keloid scars. To reduce the chance of scarring, it is important to carefully follow all pre- and post-treatment instructions.
- Excessive Swelling – Immediately after treatment, especially on the nose and cheeks, the skin may swell temporarily. Swelling usually subsides within hours, but may continue for up to seven days.
- Fragile Skin – The skin at or near the treatment site may become fragile. If this happens makeup should be avoided, and the area should not be rubbed (as this might tear the skin).
- Bruising – Purpura, or bruising, may appear on the treated area which may last from a few hours to several days.
- Before doing any treatment please consult your doctor to confirm if the treatment is the right one for you
Treatments you might be interested as well
What people say about Laser tattoo removal from Harmony, Find a Clinic Near You
- Riley Ward says:
There are so many excellent methods of tattoo removal available today. Personally, I feel none come close to the fantastic results that Q-switch laser tattoo removal can provide. Initially, I was very nervous about the tattoo removal procedure because I know the pain it caused to get the tattoo done in the first place. I have finished 2 treatment sessions, which were not very uncomfortable. The sessions were quick and my tattoo has almost disappeared, like there was nothing there. I am very impressed with Q switch tattoo removal and surely recommend it.
- Olivia Miller says:
A lot of people who have got a tattoo done and then got it removed say that getting tattoos removed is a lot more uncomfortable than getting it done. I had a similar impression until I opted for laser tattoo removal. The procedure was quick and virtually painless. The best part was that it did not cause any infection and there was hardly any down time. I am amazed with the results and feel that laser tattoo removal is well worth the money.
- William Boolman says:
I wanted to get rid of one of my tattoos. A friend of mine suggested Q switch laser tattoo removal and said it was an effective and a virtually painless treatment. After undergoing the procedure, I completely agree with my friend. As compared to some of the other tattoo removal procedures today, Q switch was almost painless and provided fantastic results. My tattoo has now disappeared and I am all set to replace it with another one. I would definitely recommend Q switch tattoo removal for anyone wanting a simple, effective and painless tattoo removal procedure.
- Sarah Evans says:
I had got a tattoo done when I was 19. At that time I was really excited and took a lot of pride in showing it off. However, now I am 32 and a secretary to a top level executive in a multinational firm which required me to get rid of the tattoo. I was a little skeptical at first because I didn’t know how painful the procedure would be. I opted for Q switch laser tattoo removal, which provided amazing results. The procedure was not very discomforting and the tattoo has completely disappeared. Q switch is an excellent procedure for tattoo removal, I must say!
- James Livingston says:
My job demanded that I get rid of the tattoos on my arm. Getting the tattoos done was quite uncomfortable. I was skeptical about the removal because I didn’t know how discomforting that would be. A friend of mine suggested laser tattoo removal and I decided to go in for the procedure. I couldn’t believe how simple and quick the procedure was. Within no time the tattoo has disappeared like there was nothing there. I am very impressed with the results and definitely recommend it.
- Riley Ward says:
There are many surgical procedures for tattoo removal, but laser treatment for tattoo removalhas proven to be the gold standard in tattoo removal. An increase in the demand for tattoos has also led to the demand for tattoo removal procedures. When it comes to removing tattoos, laser tattoo removal has significantly replaced most other procedures for tattoo removal. Today, laser technology is amongst the most commonly used procedures for tattoo removal because it is an effective non surgical procedure. The laser tattoo remover targets the tattoo with highly concentrated rays that penetrates the surface of the skin.
Laser tattoo removalinvolves targeting the inked area with pulses of laser energy at a specific wavelength. The ink in the tattoo is broken down into smaller sized fragments, which are later removed through the body’s immune system. Usually, it takes between 5-15 treatment sessions for the tattoo to actually fade out. Each treatment session requires 10-30 minutes.
The number of treatment sessions depends on the color, size and location of a tattoo. The treatment sessions are spread 6-8 weeks apart as this is the time required for the body to get rid of the destroyed ink fragments.
There are many lasers used in various aesthetic procedures including tattoo removal. The 3 main lasers used for tattoo removal are the Q-switched Ruby, Q-switched Alexandrite and the Q-switched Nd.YAG. These lasers differ in wavelengths, energy levels and pulse duration. Some lasers can also vary the wavelength and the spot size. It is very important to vary the wavelength and the duration of pulse since different color tattoo inks absorb light much better at certain wavelengths and lasers that use shorter pulses tend to be safe and more effective.
The effectiveness of laser tattoo removal depends on various factors such as skin tone, color of ink, pigments used and the capacity of the immune system to rid itself of broken ink fragments. Laser tattoo removal is not cheap. The cost per session depends on the color and size of a tattoo. Usually, it takes 3-10 sessions, but the number of treatment sessions needed depends on the depth of the tattoo, ink color and skin tone.
Read related articles:
“Good treatment with excellent customer service!”