Fractional Laser Skin Resurfacing, Rejuvenation & Tightening
Fractional Skin Resurfacing with Laser Skin Rejuvenation Treatments
A safe and effective treatment for aged or photodamaged skin that can be used on the face, neck, chest, legs and arms. Treatment with Harmony Pixel laser provides the effectiveness of an ablative approach ( one that penetrates the skin) with convenience of a nonablatve approach. The laser delivers energy into the dermis ablating micro-channels of tissue without disturbing the surrounding tissue causing remodeling of collagen, tightening of the skin and improvement in skin texture. There is no pain and no downtime. Patients can return to work immediately after treatment.
As we age, so does our skin. It starts with small things such as age spots, fine lines and wrinkles, etc. and progresses into skin sagging and open, enlarged pores that are clearly visible. One really cannot stop the skin ageing process though some can definitely delay it. But while one cannot hope to stop the skin ageing altogether, one can definitely skin rejuvenation treatments to restore the skin’s youthful health and appearance. There are several skin rejuvenation treatments in the cosmetic surgeries market today, but clearly the most popular as well as the most results driven procedure is the Alma Laser’s fractional skin resurfacing treatment using the Pixel Laser instrument. The Pixel skin rejuvenation treatment leaves your skin with a smooth, even texture, youthful health and appearance and no trace of age spots, open pores and fine lines and pigmentation.
More About the Pixel Skin Resurfacing Treatment
The Pixel fractional skin resurfacing treatment, as the name suggests, works on small fragments or fractions of the skin, one at a time. IT targets age spots, sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, acne scars and open pores. It improves the skin texture and leaves the skin feeling smoother, softer and more youthful. The best part about the Pixel laser treatment is that you will see visible changes and noticeable improvements in your skin after just one session. Additionally, the results are so without any other side effects that no one apart from you and your doctor will be any wiser to the fact that you’ve just had a laser skin treatment done.
As the name suggests, the fractional skin rejuvenation treatment with Pixel lasers works only on small fractional parts of the skin, one at a time. As only a fraction of the skin receives the laser light rays, only that part of the skin is effectively being treated, without any damage to any surrounding parts. The laser is build with a breakthrough technology that leaves any healthy skin cells and tissues absolutely unharmed. As the treatment is targeted at the problem areas only, the healing time is also minimal. The treatment promotes rapid healing of the targeted parts and there is minimal discomfort during the treatment, so you can forget any thoughts of anesthesia or pain killer medications. The treatment is so quick and easy that one session of about 30 minutes is just about enough to convince you about the wonders that this treatment can do to your skin. To achieve optimal results, you may require anywhere between 3 and 5 sessions. As there is no healing or downtime required after the laser treatment, you can easily go right back to work after a session.
The Pixel laser skin rejuvenation treatments work like a laser peel as the Pixel laser is a fractional ablative laser that provides much better results and greater tolerance with regards to discomfort than other ablative methods of skin rejuvenation. In cases where the patient is highly sensitive or is extremely pain-intolerant, the doctor may apply a topical anesthetic on the skin areas under treatment to relieve the patient of even the minor discomfort that the treatment causes.
While traditional ablative skin procedures are very limited in their scope, the easy to use Pixel laser hand piece ensures that the treatment can be done just about anywhere, the face, neck, arms, hands and even the chest for that matter. Not only does the treatment treat age and photo damages skin but it also induces the production of new collagen within the dermis, that leaves the skin looking and feeling fresher and younger. While you may require only 3 to 5 session for optimal results, the treatment cannot be said to be speedy, like the other treatments of the Alma lasers family. This is so because patients are advised to have only one session every three weeks or so. The Pixel skin resurfacing treatment is hence termed as a gradual skin treatment process. The advantage of this waiting time though is the reduced risk of infections as compared to other conventional treatment methods.
How It Works
- In technical terms, the Pixel skin resurfacing treatment involves targeting and penetrating a certain area of skin with preprogrammed laser beams that pass through patented Pixel micro optics lenses. These rays create ablative and thermal effects causing micro injuries without affecting any surrounding skin tissues. As these micro injuries heal they remodel the skin’s collagen with the resulting effect of tightened skin that has an improved skin texture.
- The Pixel skin resurfacing procedure is based on the micro-thermal treatment zones principle, which involves the creation of tiny ablative zones by removing the skin layers of the epidermis and upper dermis. This then triggers the skin’s natural healing process, one that stimulates the growth of new, healthy skin tissues. As the other areas of skin are unharmed, they act as reservoirs for more effective and rapid tissue healing and collagen production in the treated areas.
The Pixel skin resurfacing treatment is not meant for you if:
- You are pregnant
- You are breastfeeding an infant
- You have an active infection on the site of treatment
- You have a tattoo on the site of treatment
- You are hyper sensitive to light
- You have disorders such as porphyria or light-triggered seizures
- You are taking antibiotics such as tetracycline’s and fluroquinolones
- You are taking diabetes medications
- You are suffering from any emotional problems or sleep problems
Prior to A Pixel Skin Resurfacing Treatment, You Should:
Avoid any exposure to the sun or use tanning beds or other tanning products, for at least 4 weeks.
Try a test patch treatments on a small area, especially if you have sensitive or dark skin.
Avoid taking anti-viral medications for cold and flu before the treatment.
Be completely off medications such as Accutane or off treatments such as Gold therapy, for at least 6 months prior to your laser treatment.
Avoid the use of skin care products that have strong ingredients, such as Retin-A and glycolics, for at least 3 to 7 days prior to treatment.
Post a Pixel Skin Resurfacing Treatment, You Should / Will / May:
Avoid sun exposure and tanning beds at least while you are still healing. As your skin is more sensitive after a laser treatment, you can only use sunscreen and other such protection after the skin is healed.
Apply cold pack, Maxilene cream or Pro-Derm Hydrogel, etc. on the treatment area as it will look and feel like sunburn. If there is any redness or swelling on the treatment site that last for 48 hours or more, notify your doctor immediately.
If after day 2, the red areas appear bronze and your skin is no longer irritated, you may use moisturizer with sunscreen when you venture outdoors.
Avoid using make up on the treated area is there is blistering. Wash the area only with a gentle cleanser such as Pro-Derm, with gentle fingertips and using tepid water. Pat dry only. Use only mineral make up for the next few days.
By day 3, your skin should start to flake and peel. Apply mineral make up and moisturizer as needed. Avoid picking at skin or scratching the treated area as this may lead to infection or scarring. Avoid AHAs, Vitamin C, glycolic acids and retinoids, at least until the skin is healed.
What to Expect After Pixel Laser Skin Resurfacing?
After treatment, the patient may experience mild sunburn like discomfort for about an hour after which there will virtually be no discomfort at all. The skin may appear pinking for about 5 to 7 days, a sign that lets you know that the skin is healing properly. Swelling is generally mild and usually goes away within 3 days. The patient can shave or even apply make up son after the treatment and the patient may even go to work the following day. While the new epidermal skin develops within 24 hours, the rest of the repair involves several stages. The bronzed skin appearance may last for about 14 days after which the patient may experience some flaking. The only things to avoid during this stage are sun exposure and scratching. It is recommended that you apply moisturizer with sunscreen of at least SPF 30 or more during this phase. You will see your new and improved skin within 3 weeks of treatment.
You face and indeed your skin is a very important aspect of your over all appearance. It is thus but natural that you will wish to be armed with all possible information that you can get your hands on before you choose the right treatment for you. Considering this, we have made this FAQ list for you, just to answer all you basic queries for you.
How Do I Know if I am a Good Harmony XL Candidate?
There is no such thing as a good Harmony XL candidate because everyone can go for this treatment irrespective of his or her skin type, skin color and even age. If you are someone who has visible signs of ageing, you are the perfect candidate for this treatment as it gives visible and dramatic results. The best candidates for this treatment are people who are in general good health, have good habits and normally take good care of their skin.
Does this Harmony XL Rejuvenation Treatment Work on All Skin Types?
You can go through with this treatment irrespective of your skin type and skin color and still see the same dramatic improvements in your skin. Though Harmony XL skin rejuvenation treatments can be performed on all skin types, it is always a good idea to consult your personal doctor first in case you have any underlying skin conditions that might interfere with or hamper the treatment.
How Long Does One Treatment Session Typically Take?
Usually, a typical treatment session will only take about 30 minutes of your time, but if your condition is advanced, your session can indeed last longer. As your exact treatment session time depends on the severity of your individual condition, the doctor who will be handling your treatment can give you the best estimate of the required session time.
Is the Harmony XL Skin Rejuvenation Treatment Safe?
One cannot stress the fact enough that Harmony XL treatments are 100 percent safe. Minor skin irritations post treatment such as flushed, red skin is a completely normal and short-lived phenomenon that is part of the healing process. This effective treatment requires you to follow all the post-treatment instructions such as limiting your sun exposure etc. so as to not cause any difficulties or problems.
I Have a Very Low Pain Threshold so Does this Treatment Hurt?
The intensity of the pain caused by this treatment is a hurt that varies from person to person. Usually, most people liken the pain to being like sunburn and most people manage bearing it just fine. But if you have a low pain threshold, your doctor may prescribe you with some over-the-counter painkillers to make you more comfortable during and after the treatment.
Will I Need Frequent Touch Ups?
It is very important to remember that while Harmony XL reverses any signs of ageing that are already visible on your skin, it does not completely halt the ageing process. As you continue to age even after the treatment, you may indeed need more treatments in the future. How long your results from the previous treatment will last depends on how well you take care of your skin post the treatment and also your lifestyle patterns. For a lot of patients, a touch up treatment after 6 to 12 months helps maintain the healthy glow on skin, irrespective of whether you choose the same treatment or another light-based skin rejuvenation technology.
How Much Does the Treatment Cost?
Unfortunately, no one can predict your total Harmony XL cost for you unless you schedule a consultation and visit a doctor. Harmony XL treatment costs vary depending on how many sessions you require and this in turn depends on your treatment area and skin condition. A doctor can give you a quotation after judging your skin condition and the likely time it will take to get rid of all your skin troubles.
If you still have any questions or are still in need of some reinforcing information, you can look at the rave reviews that this treatment has received from some people who have actually gone through with it.
- Cancer; in particularly, skin cancer
- Pregnancy (including IVF)
- Use of photosensitive medication and herbs for which 300 to 2940nm light exposure is contra-indicated
- Diseases which may be stimulated by light at 300 to 2940nm
- Prolonged exposure to sun or artificial tanning during the 3 to 4 weeks prior to treatment and post treatment
- History of keloids or hypertrophic scarring
- Active infection of herpes simplex in the treatment area
- Diabetes (insulin dependent)
- Fragile and dry skin
- Hormonal disorders (that are stimulated under pulsed light)
- Use of anticoagulants
Adverse Effects of Treatment
The use of the Harmony system is similar to the use of other light based technologies, including AFT pulsed light, UV or Nd:YAG, Er:YAG lasers.
Historically, traditional systems have demonstrated the ability to cause a certain degree of controlled and uncontrolled tissue damage (and on rare occasions, severe bleeding). In addition, there are the following risks:
- Severe or prolonged erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) within 2-24 hours of treatment that could last for several weeks.
- Irritation, itching, a mild burning sensation or pain (similar to sunburn) may occur within 48 hours of treatment at the application site.
- Blisters, epidermal erosions, or peri-lesional hyperpigmentation may develop and remain evident for several days to several weeks following treatment.
- Chronic exposure to intense UV light (i.e. intense sunlight) can cause premature aging of the skin and may provide the precursors for skin cancer. UV treatment modalities have been used in dermatological practice for years and their safety profiles are well documented.
- Eye damage from reflected or prolonged unprotected exposure to pulsed light or laser light. Protective goggles (appropriate to the wavelength) must be worn during all treatments to prevent eye injury.
- It is important to observe tissue reaction during treatment. Poor patient screening and excessive optical energy may cause thermal damage and cause unwanted adverse effects.
Potential Side Effects of Treatment
- Discomfort – When a light/laser pulse is triggered, some patients experience various degrees of discomfort. Some patients describe the sensation as stinging, while others liken it to a rubber band snap or a burning sensation that may last for up to one hour after treatment. Most patients tolerate the sensation during treatment, but some patients may require a topical anesthetic.
- Damage to Natural Skin Texture – In some cases, a crust or blister may form. Normal wound care should be followed.
- Change of Pigmentation – There may be a change of pigmentation in the treated area. Most cases of hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation occur in people with skin types IV to VI, or when the treated area has been exposed to sunlight within 3 weeks before or after treatment. In some patients, hyper-pigmentation occurs despite protection from the sun. This discoloration usually fades in three to six months, but in rare cases, (mainly hypo-pigmentation) the change of pigment may be permanent.
- Scarring – There is a chance of scarring; such as, enlarged hypertrophic or keloid scars. To reduce the chance of scarring, it is important to carefully follow all pre- and post-treatment instructions.
- Excessive Swelling – Immediately after treatment, especially on the nose and cheeks, the skin may swell temporarily. Swelling usually subsides within hours, but may continue for up to seven days.
- Fragile Skin – The skin at or near the treatment site may become fragile. If this happens makeup should be avoided, and the area should not be rubbed (as this might tear the skin).
- Bruising – Purpura, or bruising, may appear on the treated area which may last from a few hours to several days.
- Before doing any treatment please consult your doctor to confirm if the treatment is the right one for you
Fractional laserskin resurfacing, also called fractional photothermolysis, is a method of skin rejuvenation. Fractional laser resurfacing is used for the reduction and removal of wrinkles and fine lines, for the repair of sun damaged skin, for the reduction of skin blemishes and age spots, hyperpigmentation and acne scars. In this treatment procedure, the targeted areas of skin are accurately spaced out at a microscopic level.
Unlike selective photothermolysis in which the entire targeted skin area is damaged, fractional photothermolysis only damages certain areas of skin. It leaves the other areas of skin intact and only causes fractional damage. This helps the skin to heal much faster as compared to the entire area of skin being treated. In this treatment, the targeted skin area is treated with heat and minute spots of treated skin then replace the old and destroyed cells with new and healthy ones. The untreated areas of skin maintain tissue stability for a quick recovery.
Fractional laser skins resurfacing treatments utilizes the intense energy from the skin resurfacing lasers and provide greater safety and quicker recovery time. Patients are able to undergo a risk-free treatment procedure and achieve the desired skin rejuvenation results without worrying about follow-up treatments associated with most low-energy laser treatments.
Lasers have become a high tech equivalent of procedures like dermabrasion, deep chemical peels and microdermabrasion for skin resurfacing. Harmony XL is amongst the leading brands in fractional laser skin resurfacing. It is a versatile aesthetic laser platform for skin treatments. The AFT IPL Handpiece from Harmony XL is an advanced laser, which is used for skin rejuvenation procedures. It delivers optimum results and makes the skin appear a lot younger. The procedure involves skin tightening, removal of pigments and scars, etc.
Fractional laser resurfacing helps achieve skin improvements that are almost similar to the results of conventional ablative laser skin resurfacing. However, it causes fewer side effects. The costs of fractional laser skin resurfacing would depend upon the area being treated as well as the type of laser device used.
“Good treatment with excellent customer service!”