A skin lesion is a general term which is used to specify just about any type of skin lump, such as cysts, moles, freckles, birthmarks, skin rashes, blisters, insect bites as well as tattoos. Depending on the kind of skin lesion, its removal and treatment could vary from a mild treatment procedure to major corrective surgery. The majority of lesions on the skin do not result in any serious complications. However, an individual might choose to have them removed due to practical or perhaps aesthetic reasons. There are different types of skin lesion removal methods which are used based on the kind of skin lesion an individual has. Some lesions, for instance benign or non cancerous warts, could be treated with the help of non-surgical procedures. However, larger sized skin lesions or perhaps lesions that require a precise removal procedure might need to be surgically removed.
Yet again, depending on type, a skin lesion might first be biopsied, wherein a small part is removed and then tested for cancer. Following this the skin lesion is likely to be removed by way of excision, using a scalpel; destruction through cryosurgery or electro surgery and even through use of laser treatments. The physician may advise you to undergo surgery in case you have a skin lesion which shows any signs of turning malignant (for instance, a mole which has changed color or shape). The removed tissue would be sent to a research laboratory in order to examine the type of cells as well as determine whether or not the lesion is benign or perhaps malignant.
Skin lesion removal is generally performed as an outpatient procedure. This means you undergo the procedure and then go back home the same day.
Based on the size of the lesion and where it is located on the body, skin lesions could be removed at your physician’s clinic or perhaps at the hospital. The procedure for removal of skin lesions is normally performed under local anesthetics. This prevents pain at the area; however you may still be able to feel some activity. You will still stay conscious all through the procedure.
The physician will discuss with you about what is going to happen before, during as well as following the procedure, and also regarding any pain you might experience. This can be your opportunity to comprehend what is likely to happen, and you can help yourself by simply preparing the questions to ask with regard to the risks, advantages as well as any alternatives to the procedure. This enables you to be well informed, so that you can give your consent with regard to the procedure to go ahead, that you might be asked to do by way of signing the consent form.
It is extremely important to discuss the procedure with your physician so that you know what you should expect. For instance, if your physician surgically removes the skin lesion, he or she might need to remove some skin surrounding the lesion, causing a bigger wound than you might expect.
The procedure that your physician utilizes in order to get rid of the lesion would depend upon factors such as its size as well as its location on the body. Your physician will suggest which procedure is best suited for you.
What Happens during the Skin Lesion Removal Procedure?
- Some skin lesions can be shaved down to the level of the surrounding skin, either by using a surgical blade or perhaps a laser (a high-energy beam of light) in order to destroy the skin tissue.
- Skin tags might be simply snipped off using surgical scissors.
- Other skin lesions, which include suspected cancer of the skin, could be entirely cut out and then the wound closed with the help of stitches.
- Warts may just be frozen off using liquid nitrogen (this procedure is referred to as cryotherapy) or perhaps treated using creams such as the ones which contain salicylic acid.
- Certain lesions on the skin could be treated with the help of photodynamic therapy. In this procedure a chemical is applied on the lesion after which it is exposed to light. This process activates the chemical in order to destroy the lesion. However, this particular treatment might not always be available.
- Your physician would apply a dressing on the wound if required but a majority of wounds heal much better when they are left uncovered.
How Exactly does Laser Treatment for Vascular and Pigmented Lesions Work?
The red and brown discoloration treatment works by exactly targeting the unwanted lesions. The brown discolorations, also referred to as pigmented lesions (sun spots, age spots, etc.), are darker as compared to the rest of the skin and they absorb a lot more laser energy in contrast to surrounding skin.
The red discolorations, also referred to as vascular lesions (small veins, cherry angiomas, rosacea, and so on.) are overgrown or perhaps enlarged blood vessels. Preferably, heating vessel walls causes them to weaken, fall and then eventually get absorbed by the body.
Some Advantages Associated with Laser Treatment for the Removal of Skin Lesions:
- The laser treatment is a completely non surgical procedure
- Being a non surgical procedure, the treatment is virtually pain free
- Using this treatment there is no need for anesthesia and even topical numbing agents
- Laser treatment is a quick and effective procedure which provides visible results
- Laser treatment requires only around twenty minutes for a single treatment session
- Using laser treatment there is no damage to the surrounding healthy skin
- A treatment which causes virtually no side effects